The Armstrong-Siddeley was the result of a merger between companies owned by Sir William Armstrong and John Siddeley. The first vehicle was produced in 1919 in Coventry, with the firm concentrating on building luxury cars. The marketing slogan “As silent as the Sphinx” was used later together with a sphinx on the bonnet of each car. After WW II, Armstrong-Siddeley introduced models such as the Hurricane and Lancaster, named after the aircraft manufactured by the Hawker Siddeley Group. In 1960, the company merged with Bristol and the last Armstrong-Siddeley that was built was the Star Sapphire.