Born in Italy, Ettore Bugatti began his company in Molsheim in 1909, a German town until 1918 when it became French once more. Bugatti’s were known for the quality of their construction and their racing successes. Only six of the enormous Royales were built – a seventh was destroyed by Bugatti in a crash. Unused engines were then used to power the Bugatti Railcar. The last road-going car was built in 1952. Over 100 Bugatti’s can be seen at Cité de l’Automobile, Mulhouse, part of a collection started by Hans and Fritz Schlumpf.