Founded in 1896, Leyland Motors manufactured a wide range of commercial vehicles over many decades. Car production began in the 1960’s when the firm acquired Triumph and Rover and in 1968, the company became British Leyland. This was later abbreviated to BL and from 1986 was renamed Rover Group. The first series of Leyland Sherpa vans was manufactured between 1974 and 1982 and the Buccaneer Motorhome was developed from this range. In 1987, Leyland Trucks merged with DAF Trucks of The Netherlands, becoming Leyland DAF. This subsequently became LDV Group in 1993, production of vans continuing until 2009.