“As old as the industry, as modern as the hour”. Riley marketing slogan.
The company was founded by the Riley family and originally made bicycles before their first car was built in 1898. Based in Coventry until 1948, the firm established a reputation not just for their stylish road-going cars, but also for their racing successes. In 1938, ownership of the company was transferred to Morris Motors and after WW II, became part of BMC. The last cars to be badged as Riley were built in 1969.