The Société Industrielle de Mécanique et Carrosserie Automobile began producing cars badged as SIMCA in 1935, which were closely based on FIATs. Their cars sold well before and after WW II, with the company acquiring Ford France and Talbot in the 1950’s. SIMCA continued to be a major manufacturer of cars in France with Chrysler taking over the company in 1970. In 1978, the firm was sold to Peugeot with the name Talbot being introduced for their cars. The last cars badged as SIMCA were built in 1981.