The Thornycroft Steam Carriage & Van Company was founded in Chiswick in 1896 by John Thornycroft. Petrol-engined vehicles were built from the early 1900’s onwards and although best-known for its buses and trucks, the firm also made a few hundred cars from 1903 until 1913. Their factory at Basingstoke supplied thousands of vehicles and marine engines for the First World War armed forces. Afterwards, a great variety of commercial vehicles were built for decades, with the last Thornycroft being manufactured in 1977. A selection of Thornycroft vehicles can be seen at Milestones Museum, Basingstoke.