The Trabant was built in Zwickau and was the product of the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). Manufacture of this very basic vehicle began in 1958, cars being built with a 500cc engine. The bodywork was made in Duroplast, a fibre-reinforced plastic. By the time production ended in 1991, over 3,000,000 “Trabbies” had been built. In 2007, the Herpa company in Bavaria introduced the nT concept model which was to be powered by an electric motor.